Friday, December 24, 2010

Month of Memories - December 24th

Christmas Eve!  One of the things I've enjoyed most over recent years is attending Christmas Eve services.  I don't ever remember going to one until about 10 years ago.  If I remember correctly, the first service I attended was at a small Baptist church that my parents were attending in 2001.  What made that service memorable was that right at the beginning the pastor announced that their piano player hadn't been able to make it that night and was there anyone there that would come play the Christmas carols.  I got volunteered...and so I played.  What a way to get initiated! :)


Philip's family has some nice Christmas Eve traditions, including Advent devotions and a special meal of Swedish Meatballs.   This year the Advent devotions included making a special ornament with a symbol for each of the Advent words: hope, peace, joy and love. 

We have also started the tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve, which has been very fun for the boys.  Some years we go see Christmas lights on the way home from service. 

Here I am with the boys this year, as we headed out to the Christmas Eve service.  It was, of course, a kid-friendly service.  One day I hope to be able to attend the kid-free Candlelight version. :)

No comments: