Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Breakfast Bars

A few people have asked for the recipe for the breakfast bars I've been making for the family, so I thought I would just post here.  I got the recipe from my friend Laura and then modified it some to fit our needs, but I will post both the original and modifications.

I didn't take any pictures of the process, but it's pretty basic.  Here's the finished product on the baking sheet.


And how we store them.  Love this size Ziploc containers!

Here's the recipe:

Breakfast Bars
  2 eggs
 3/4 cup brown sugar (1 cup, original)
 1/2 cup milk (1/3 orig)
 1/2 cup applesauce (1/3 orig)
2 cups freshly ground flour (original uses regular flour, which is why the liquid is less)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 ½ cups oatmeal
1-2 cups raisins, nuts and/or chopped dried fruit (I use craisins, raisins and chopped walnuts)

 In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, milk, and applesauce.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices until just mixed.  Stir in the oatmeal and raisins.  Drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.

To bake as bars, use 10” x 15” pan and bake for 19 minutes at 375.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carolyn, Matt, Madison, and Sydney said...

I keep forgetting to say that these look so yummy! I'm excited to try them :) Thanks for sharing!

Imogen ♥ said...

Looks delicious! Nice post :)