Friday, February 8, 2008

If You Can't Laugh At Yourself...

Ok, so everyone knows I am a cake decorator. Presumably this means I make nice looking cakes. And I do...most of the time. It just seems like I frequently have "mishaps" when making cakes that I personally serve. Maybe because it's not so high-stress and I let my guard down. Maybe it's that that's when I am more likely to try something new. Anyway, my poor family (and occasionally friends) definitely sometimes gets the short end of the stick when it comes to cakes. For example, I am so low-key about my kids' birthday cakes that we have celebrated with everything from a brownie to leftover wedding tasting samples to a store bought 2" square! Granted, there have been some nicer cakes in the bunch too (and the "Random" cake was always used at a family-only "day celebration" with something nicer usually later, but not all the time! This year, Caleb's "actual" birthday cake got decorated by his Grandpa because I was too sick to do it (thanks Grandpa!). And Philip's 30th birthday cake was an "extra" cake I baked somewhere along the line and pulled out and threw on all the extra icing I had sitting around the house. (Sorry Philip!). You get the picture.

Anyway, we had company tonight and I made a cake for dessert (I was actually planning to make something else, but wound up with extra batter for a job I am doing this weekend and turned it into a nice heart cake...since Valentine's Day is next week :)). Well, I experimented with the filling and icing and while it tasted great, the appearance was less than my usual (it was just kinda messy looking...in MY mind anyway).

It got me thinking about the one real disaster that I had while making a cake. This cake was for my small group and was a new recipe...and one that you might correctly assume I never tried again!! I just laughed and laughed as this cake happened, and then I laughed some more as I served it to our small group. There was really nothing else to do. I think you'll agree. :)


If you want to see pictures of some of my "real" cakes, you can click here.

No comments: