Friday, April 22, 2011

Words I Never Thought I Would Say

"I'm going to counseling"  Or maybe I did, but not at this season of my life.  Either way, it kind of came out of nowhere and everywhere at the same time.  Anyone that has spoken to me at length recently knows that I believe that the physical issues I have been experiencing have everything to do with God getting my attention to deal with my spiritual and relational issues.  Things came to a head in mid-February and just at that time God brought an amazing counselor directly in my path.  It was 100% the hand of God.  She and I have been working together for about two months now and I can truly say God is at work.

Right at the same time, God motivated a friend of mine to recommend to me that I take the Compassion Workshop that McLean Bible offers at their Tysons campus, which had just recently begun it's Spring session.  As I listened to her describe the class, I realized that several relationships in my life have suffered as a result of a lack of compassion from me.  This class, which finishes next week, has been life-changing.  I would recommend that anyone in this area who struggles with ANY level of anger, resentment or lack of compassion take the class.  It is a lot of work, but it is AMAZING.  So many of my beliefs about anger and relational dynamics have changed as a result, as has my belief that I actually can change.  Philip has listened to most of the class on CD and we both agree with the power of the message.  It's changing the way we interact with each other and with our children.  It's slow going, but so worth it.

No comments: